Monday, March 25, 2013

Busy B

     Hello!!! Oh my it has been a while hasn't it! I'm super excited because I have been busy working on some of my projects that I have let fall to the way side. This is why I love spring, becuase a lot of my fun stuff that I love to do it better done in nicer weather.
     Well first off I have been working on reviving my bread sour. Waaaay back in 2011 shortly after the birth of my son, I started a sour from grapes, flour, and water, and when it was nice a bubbly I dried alot of it. It is a great idea to do this just incase anything happenes to your original sour. Mine just got neglacted so I dumped it and just started new from my dried sour I had on hand, and after only two days it has started bubbling away. I love to make bread and pancakes from this sour!

Sourdough Pancakes
2 Cups Sour
2 Tbs Maple Syrup or Honey
3 Tbs Oil
2 Eggs
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
1 Tsp Baking Powder

Mix all together and make it like any other pancake on the stove top.

Rustic Sourdough
1 Cup Sour
1 Cup Water
2 Tsp Salt
3 Cup Flour
Mix together just until flour is no longer wet
Let it sit until it doubles in size, this may take over night depending on how "happy" the sour is.
Carefully scrap out of bowl and place on pan and sprinkle with flour and let it sit until it doubles in size, this may also take over night.
The bread takes a long time but the flavor is so worth the wait!


    This is only one thing I have been working on out of many! I will update here as I go.

2 comments:

  1. How do you dry a sour? I've put mine in the fridge so I only had to feed it about once a week to save money on flour, but I would forget, so now it's back on our counter...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First get it really bubbly, I sometimes add rye to my sour. It is like a power up for it. When it is good a foamy I spread it on parchment paper and let it dry, it may take a day or two. I store it in a zip lock bag in a jar, but freezing it is supposed to make it last longer, but this sour i revived was dried for two years a room temperature and worked just fine.

      Delete