Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Chemistry and Soap

Soap Making!
Starting last year I got real into making soap from scratch. And after a lot of research I got the guts to try it.
Below is a Lye soap I made last week, I love lye soap because it is made up of only lard and lye, and it is an amazing all in one soap. I grate it and use it in my homemade laundry detergent, or keep it by my sink to wash little hands with. I have also read that it is good for all kinds of skin issues, including eczema, and poison ivy. And I guess hunters like to bathe with it because it cleanses off the "human" scent.

Below on the left is lye soap and on the right is my lavender soap.
It was a new recipe that my friend Jackie helped me make and it includes Shea butter, Castor oil, olive oil, and coconut oil. I also LOVE to use dried lavender buds for the scent and a mild abrasiveness. It doesn't smell like much until you get in a hot shower and lather up with it and I swear I could sleep right in the shower!

Once you understand how the soap process works and you take the right safety precautions, soap making is so much fun and so addicting.

No comments:

Post a Comment